International Travel Grants

NOTE: Due to financial challenges associated with COVID-19, the Office of International Programs is not currently accepting applications for faculty travel grants.

The Office of International Programs has available limited funds to assist faculty with international travel. These funds are distributed according to the guidelines below.

Priority is given to faculty members whose travel enhances the internationalization of the University, either through teaching, research, program initiation or development, or the building or strengthening of linkages with other institutions of higher learning.

Applications should include the purpose of the trip, dates of travel, and approximate cost. Letters of invitation, conference programs, and other relevant documentation should accompany the proposal.

The standard award amount is $300. As such, these grants will generally not be sufficient to cover the cost of an entire trip and will need to be supplemented by other funds. Faculty are encouraged to supplement the grant with other departmental, college, and University funds.

Approval criteria

  • Travel must be to a destination outside the United States
  • Only tenured or tenure-track faculty members are eligible to apply for these funds.
  • Priority is given to trips that have the following objectives:
    • Advancing internationalization at the college or university level
    • Exploratory trips to develop faculty-led study abroad programs or other global learning opportunities for students (e.g., student exchange agreements)
    • Strengthening collaboration with an existing international partner
    • Developing new faculty research collaborations and exchanges
    • Conference participation (e.g., invited presentations and papers, program chair and panelist, keynotes addresses, etc.)
    • Invited lecturing and research presentations
  • The Office of International Programs will fund international travel requests as they are received. Grants will cover only a portion of the funding needed, with the intent to maximize the number of faculty members who travel abroad.
  • Requests from faculty members who received travel funds during the previous academic year will be given a lower priority than first-time requests. Similarly, second requests during an academic year will be given a lower priority than requests from faculty who have not been funded during that academic year. It is also our general policy to deny requests for a third consecutive travel grant in three consecutive years.
  • Special consideration in the form of additional funding is available for trips and projects that are designed to advance college or university internationalization. Applicants pursuing these goals should schedule an appointment with the Associate Provost for International Programs to discuss the purpose, scope, and available resources for such projects.

To apply for an International Travel Grant

If you have any problems completing the form, please contact:

David Landrum
International Programs
CHHS Building, Room 229

  • Notify your department administrative assistant of your intention to travel and the fact you will be applying for an International Travel Grant from the Office of International Programs.

Prior to your travel

  • Complete an “Authorization to Travel” form. You may obtain this form in your departmental office. Have all required signatures on the form before you send the form to the Office of International Programs.
  • Submit the completed original “Authorization to Travel” form to David Landrum in the Office of International Programs (CHHS 229) for the appropriate fund number and authorized signature.
  • Submit the “Authorization to Travel” form to the Travel Office at least two weeks before you travel.

Upon your travel

  • Collect receipts for all expenses for which you will seek reimbursement or for which you are spending travel advance funds.

Upon your return

  • All award recipients MUST complete a “Request for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses” form within 2 (two) weeks of their return (even those who received a 100% travel advance). You may obtain this form in your departmental office. Be sure your request for reimbursement has been signed by your supervisor and your department administrative assistant has a copy.
  • Submit competed and signed “Request for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses” form with original receipts to the Travel Office.
  • Reimbursement checks/direct deposits are processed by Travel and Accounts Payable, please refer questions regarding reimbursement to them or to your departmental administrative assistant.

Important Note

International Travel Grant funds that have not been utilized within one month of the return date indicated on your request for funding will revert to the Office of International Programs for reallocation to another faculty member.